Tuesday 24 February 2009

Cleaner Washes Mug in Toilet


If I were to describe my workplace in terms of 'upstairs downstairs' then the 'downstairs' would definitely contain the score of cleaners who come from all over Cairo each morning to brush, scrub, make tea, wash windows...

I rather admire these women, their good humour abounds and when they do have a tantrum they do it in spectacular style as only an Egyptian housewife can.

So today when I saw the cleaner of my floor sobbing by the gate I went to investigate. Poor Om Mohamed had been sacked over her cleaning, so I unthinkingly gave her a hefty tip and watched her disappear out of sight. It's the least I could do... right?

However, I soon regretted it. Apparently she had been washing the mugs (including MY mug) in the toilet. In the ACTUAL toilet. 

From malevolence? From lack of education? (She almost certainly wouldn't have running water in her area). Who knows, but it's the last time I tip a cleaner without doing my research. And that mug will have to go, too.

1 comment:

  1. I told you sweetie .. the mug has to go, go get another mug and write on it something like "if washed in Toilets, it will explode" or something in these lines .. :)
    nice blog, man.

    ReplyDelete